Publicity and Promotions
KSU’s student media has many no-cost or low cost solutions to your publicity challenges.
1 - We’re doing something we would like covered in the campus newspaper. How do we get a story in The Sentinel?
Like any newspaper, there is no way to guarantee coverage - but there are ways to better your chances. Remember that the students are running the paper and appreciate being asked directly rather than going through their advisor. We always recommend the "shotgun" method - use as many of these approaches as you feel comfortable:
- If you have not yet appointed a PR or media person for your group, do so. Send out
two releases for every event or activity you wish coverage of. The first release,
called an advance, should go out 10 days to 2 weeks before the event. The second should
go out after the event—let us know how successful it was! Send us photos if you can.
Here is a sample press release you can use as a template. Or use The Sentinel Press Release Form.
- Advertising, unlike editorial, is guaranteed, and all departments get a reduced rate.
Look at our online media kit for advertising options.
- E-mail is always read by the staff. Email for each staffer is included in the Staff
Box in the opinion section which is in every issue. You can also send a press release
to the editorial board by sending it to email@example.com.
- A phone call is the next best thing to a personal visit. The newspaper’s main number
is 470-528-6470. Depending on your issue, activity or event, ask for the Features,
News, or Viewpoints (opinion, commentary) editors. Keep in mind that this is a student
office—you may have to leave a message.
- If you can catch them in their office, that’s a great way. The offices are in the
Carmichael Student Center on the Kennesaw Campus, Room 277. Just remember that they
are students like you—busy!
- Don’t forget our other student media. KSU’s student lifestyle magazine, Peak, publishes monthly. You can call them at 470-528-6470.
Owl Radio would also be happy to promote your event:
- Free Public Service Announcements
- Remote Broadcast Request
- Owl Radio Underwriting
If you need further assistance, contact the Director of Student Media by email or call at 470-578-3083. Please keep in mind that the advisor may not dictate coverage.
2 - I know you can’t guarantee coverage - but what can we do to better our chances?
- Give the publication advance notice—at least a week, more if possible.
- Talk to the staff in person. And make sure your talking to the right person—don’t give a story idea to an ad rep—or an ad to a reporter!
- Don’t talk down to the students or tell them what they should do.
- If it’s after the event, send the publication photos and information.
3 - Can I write the story myself?
Not if you are part of the activity or event—that would be a conflict of interest. But you can send us a press release. If you have not yet appointed a PR or media person for your group, do so. Send out two releases for every event or activity you wish coverage of. The first release, called an advance, should go out 10 days to 2 weeks BEFORE the event. The second should go out after the event—let us know how successful it was! Send us photos if you can.
4 - We REALLY need to get this in the paper. We’re willing to advertise. What can you do for us?
FREE ADS: Student groups and KSU offices receive one free ad per semester! Use The Sentinel online Free Ad Form (housed in OwlLife; you will need to log in with your NetID).
PAID ADS: Offices and departments at KSU pay a lower rate (our University Affiliated Rate), and student groups are the lowest. check out our media kit and contact the KSUSM advertising manager firstname.lastname@example.org.
5 - If we create the ad ourselves will you give us a discount?
Sorry, department and student group ads are already heavily discounted - but we will extend your deadline.
6 - We’re a not a student group yet - we’re just trying to get started. Help!
We’ll give you a free ad - just follow our guidelines - contact KSUSM at 470-578-6470. And maybe your group is newsworthy. Fill out The Sentinel online press release form.
7 - What about the digital signs across campus - "Owl TV" - can you help with those as well?
Sure can. Use the form here. It's in OwlLife, so be prepared to log in.